- 3 1/2 – 4 cups of flour – we used whole wheat for a chewier texture but most use bread flour
- Cornmeal (set aside for rolling)
- envelope instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups of hot water, 100 degrees F
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
Combine flour, yeast and salt in the bowl of a mixer and while mixer is running, add water and 2 T of oil and beat until the dough forms a ball. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough comes together. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into smooth, firm ball.
Grease a large bowl with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover and put out in a warm area to let it double in size – about an hour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
After dough has set, roll out on floured surface.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes before adding toppings. We add cornmeal to the countertop and baking sheets for a more textured base before adding toppings.
Toppings – add whatever you like – below are just suggestions based on pizzas we like to make.
- Sauce – One 14oz can of diced tomatoes – no salt added and seasoned to taste. We like to add Mrs Dash no salt added Extra Spicy seasoning, smoked paprika, berbere seasoning
- Daiya Mozzarella-style shredded cheese
- Soysation Mozzarella-style shredded cheese
- Turkey pepperoni
- Black olives
- Jalapenos, sliced
- Your choice of vegetable toppings
After topping your pizza with your favorite items bake again until cheese has melted (about 10 min.) and toppings have combined. We like to broil ours at the very end for a little crunch.